Many people think Human Resource professionals have no sense of humor. Well, I am here to tell you otherwise. Every day, HR professionals deal with interesting situations and to assist us to get through the day, we must find humor in the things we do.
Lessons Learned — Job Candidates Do the Darnedest Things
10 funny things that candidates have done during the interview process per numerous recruitment professionals!
- Tossed a beer can into a trash bin outside the employer’s reception area on the way into an interview.
- A woman blew her nose and lined up used tissues on the table in front of her during the interview.
- A person who provided a detailed list of how the previous employer made him mad.
- During an interview, the candidate said that he was so well qualified that if he didn’t get the job, it would prove that the company’s management was incompetent.
- The candidate wore earphones listening to her iPod and said she could listen to music and the interviewer at the same time.
- A bald candidate abruptly excused himself from the interview. He returned a few minutes later wearing a hair-piece.
- Applicant challenged interviewer to arm wrestle.
- Asked to see the interviewer’s resume to see if the HR executive was qualified to judge the candidate.
- A man wore a jogging suit to the interview. He was interviewing for a position as a financial Vice President.
- The male candidate asked who the lovely “babe” was, pointing to the picture on my desk. When the interviewer said it was his wife, the candidate asked if she was home now and wanted her phone number. Security was called immediately.
If you care to share any humorous things that you have experienced with applicants or your employees, I would love to hear about them!